Sunday, April 14, 2019

Steal This Idea: Reduce/Eliminate Amazon Packaging

I've recently become hyper-aware of the excess amount of packaging coming into my household with the addition of Amazon subscriptions to my life and the lack of recycling in my part of Florida. (First of all, get with the program, Florida! Really!!) My initial idea for a solution was reusing the packaging, which would involve a complex reverse supply chain and notification system to identify when Amazon packaging was ready for pickup, what kind, and where it would be, and then figuring out how to reduce costs to make this a viable business solution for Amazon to gather these used materials and reuse them efficiently. It was a mess. So I had to take a step back and figure out what was the real problems to be solved.

Problem #1: Amazon has to reasonably protect the item during the delivery process.
Problem #2: Excessive use of cardboard, plastic and paper was resulting in wasted resources that would be 100% mitigated if the item was purchased in a store.
Problem #3: Reusability of packaging materials is challenging, complex and expensive, and ultimately not good business.
Problem #4: Recycling these excessive materials doesn't completely eliminate or resolve the first problem.

Now, let's talk about some of the many, many resources available.
Resource #1: Amazon has purchased a number of brick-and-mortar stores and has started opening its own brick-and-mortar stores as well.
Resource #2: Amazon has begun limited testing of drone delivery.
Resource #3: RFID and other near-field technology is prominent and getting cheaper.
Resource #4: Autonomous vehicles, including trucks, are already on the roads and getting smarter.

It is feasible to imagine reducing the protective packaging needs if shipments aren't traveling from a DC through the mail. Instead, let's say I order my usual 12-pack of flavored Ice Waters, and it is placed in an autonomous truck at a brick-and-mortar store (or a DC for that matter), and carried to my porch by a drone launched from the truck. There's really no need to put it in a box now, as long as the drone has a way to pick it up, move it and set it down. If protection of the product while awaiting my receipt of it is important, maybe we look at the old milk man model: they utilized a cooler in which the milk was placed and thus protected from the elements. Amazon customers could "opt in" to buy or lease their own Amazon locker which only unlocks for a drone with a delivery to this address, and the customer. This could be done by RFID or near-field technology, bluetooth, or something similar.

As a YUUUGE and growing source of consumer products (and excessive packaging), Amazon has a real opportunity and responsibility to reduce or eliminate a good portion of the trash going to landfills today and in the future. I think addressing their own packaging is the biggest opportunity and most important one.

That being said, I think Amazon could also work with bottle fillers to work on recycling programs and/or reusable container programs for their customers. For example, going back to my 12-pack of flavored Ice Waters, even if I buy them from the store, I'm still ultimately tossing out empty water bottles. What if, instead, I placed said bottles in my personal Amazon locker outside when I was done with all 12, and the next time I got a delivery, they would also pick up the bottles and return to a bottle filler for cleaning and reusing? I know this starts to get into the messy reverse logistics thing I was trying to avoid earlier, but I think it would be the logical next step after Amazon largely addresses its own shipment packaging materials issues. 






It is worth noting that you can also help reduce packaging from Amazon starting today! As referenced here: https://earth911.com/business-policy/reduce-amazon-packaging-waste/ you can send an email to

cs-reply@amazon.com to request minimal plastic packaging inside your orders, and they should make a note in your account to do so. 

Also, you can choose to receive deliveries once a week instead of multiple days per week. This is called choosing your "Amazon Day," and all you have to do is select it at checkout.

1 comment:

  1. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Smart Blinds

    ReplyDelete