Monday, April 8, 2013

Your pillow

It doesn't take too many friends, all saying the same thing, to get me to agree.  R had to go.  That was that.  Yes, there were benefits to stringing him along, but let's face it, he is not boyfriend material.  Still, it was not my intention to break his feeble heart Thursday night, it just kinda happened.  I mean, a girl can only take so much, and I was at wit's end over trying to be patient and deal with him.  I let it slide when he was more than rude to me.  When he insisted I take him somewhere to get dinner, I gave him a second chance to ask if it was okay.  I tried my darndest to ignore how scummy I felt at Village Inn, his choice.  And I even tried to stay engaged in the conversation.  

It was clear to me that this relationship was already hanging on by a thread, and really it should have ended long ago, so when he was downright rude to me and showed no remorse, that was it.  I told him to never call me again, collected my things and stormed out.  The whole time as I was packing my things up and getting ready to leave, I expected him to try to stop me, to apologize, to say something or do something.  He did nothing.  It was like he knew it was coming.  As I crossed the parking lot to my car, I again expected him to shout out at me or to chase me or something, and still got nothing.  I got almost all the way home when my cell phone rang - it was him.  Again, I expected something of a plead or an apology, but I didn't want to entertain it so I let it go to voicemail.  I did, however, check the voicemail as soon as it came through, and again, it was nothing like I expected.  

R's voicemail was simply informing me that I had left my pillow there - the shabby $2 pillow that my most recent ex- had purchased at some point and I had put in one of prior ex-'s old pillow cases.  I really could care less about that damn thing - better that it was out of my life since it reminded me of past failed relationships.  I deleted the voicemail and continued home.  I had so many more important and exciting things to think about, better to be done with R once and for all, right?  In fact, I was preparing to leave the next day for a pretty cool hiking/camping trip near the border of Utah and Arizona.  It would be lots of fun, and I was both excited and very anxious about it.  When I got home, I checked my facebook and saw the comments on my most recent post - I had asked my facebook friends to help me try to remember those things that I would probably forget to pack for my camping/hiking trip.  A few of my friends had some good suggestions, most of which I had remembered.  There was a new post, though, from R.  It simply said, "Your pillow."  

This is one of those moments where I literally laughed out loud.  It was actually really funny in a twisted ironic sort of way.  I had left the pillow at his place while storming out and swearing him off, and here he was, telling me I might forget my pillow needed for camping.  Even funnier, in hindsight, is that I actually did forget to pack a pillow the next day, and only remembered when I got to my friends' house to pick him up, so I had to ask him to bring an extra for me.  Go figure - one of my biggest complaints about R was his complete and utter lack of a sense of humor, and here he was in potentially the last communications with me ever making me laugh.  Oh, oh, oh the irony.  

No comments:

Post a Comment