Wednesday, July 10, 2024

I Left My Heart at Terminal D


It's been a week almost exactly to the hour since I picked Sam up from the airport, erasing all the doubts I had going into it at the time, and now I've just returned from dropping him off at the airport for his long return trip home. I'd be lying if I said the week was perfect, but I don't think either of us expected it would be. After all, besides two dates back in April, we had only exchanged messages and had video or voice calls for about an hour each week. Suddenly spending an entire week under the same roof and in each others' space constantly was sure to open up some cracks in our over-the-top positivity-based relationship. But we had both agreed that open communication would allow us to work through whatever comes up, and I think we both truly believed that.

Our tentative itinerary had us attending a baseball game the same night he landed, but after the time he spent in customs, and with how tired he was, he was grateful we hadn't gotten tickets and we could just go back to my place and go to bed. Before retiring, however, he was bursting at the seams to give me all the presents he had brought from Australia for me. Bug spray to help me combat the horrid bugs here in Texas, candy and sweets both at my request and because he wanted me to try them, an Australia soccer jersey, creams and lotions, soaps, all sorts of things. I didn't have nearly as much in the way of gifts for him - just an Arizona State shirt at his request and some Japanese treats we had talked about. Of course, the trip had been a gift in a way - I told him I wasn't mentally ready for international travel yet but that if it was just money stopping him from taking leave to visit, I had money, so why not pay for him to come here? Of course, that then gave me reason to have doubts, but we're passed that now.

Thursday morning - July Fourth - once we got the tea kettle and coffee situation sorted for him and we both had breakfast, we went for a short walk around my local park. I wanted to show him the turtles but they weren't where I had seen them last. I had also told him about my neighbor's cats but they were no where to be found. Granted, it was hot as heck by this time, so the aminals were probably wherever
they can keep coolest. We did see an orange-winged black bird on our walk (it was a black bird with orange wings, but that was actually the name of it, too!). Even though Sam doesn't eat pig meats, I wanted him to have a hot dog for the Fourth, so we went to Portillo's and he was relieved to see they were beef hot dogs, so he could eat it.

That evening, we went to the soccer game and saw FC Dallas score a victory. They did a pretty great fireworks show after, which I liked because that took the stress out of figuring out where to go see fireworks and
worrying about seating and stuff… we just sat in our seats from the game and enjoyed the show.

Friday we went for a swim in my pool. The wind had blown a bunch of flower petals into the pool but Sam told me not to sweep them up because it was kind of cool to swim in them. I wasn't fully on board but I could see his point. I enjoyed seeing the world through his lens, he's such a romantic and gushing with positivity. Except when it comes to soccer… never heard him speak such hard words as he yelled at the TV while we watched the Euros that afternoon.

Friday night, Sam indulged me by going to a swing dance. The timing worked out well, because this was the first Friday of the month and thus the dance was a little less intimidating for new or non-dancers, and it had a live band which is always entertaining even if you're not dancing. I was surprised to see one of my favorite leads from the Thursday night dance there, Dave, and he took me out on the floor multiple times to show me off. Sam seemed to enjoy watching and had no interest in actually dancing, even during the slow dance song, but he went for a walk around the area to get his steps in while I helped lead the Shim Sham and got a few more dances in. He suspected, wrongly, that when he left, I'd get asked more, but this community really doesn't care if you're with someone or not, they just want to dance, and I love that about it.

Saturday morning we left for Austin and I streamed one of the soccer games on my tablet for him as I drove. Seeing signs for Buc-cee's, I told Sam about it and he was interested so we stopped at one when it was convenient to get more gas and take a bio break. He got a good kick out of it, and we just happened to be by staff entrance when the actual mascot came out, so we grabbed a quick selfied with Buc-cee before the swarms of people got a hold of him. We continued to Austin and we found a sports bar we wanted to watch the next game at, but in a distracted moment, I locked my keys in the car. Usually, the car won't lock if the keys are inside but it must not have been reading the signal. I tried the app but it was being weird with the sign in. I told Sam to go ahead without me while I work on getting the app to let me in to unlock the car. I finally gave up and joined Sam at the bar, but shortly after standing there watching the end of the last game, the app said my car had finally unlocked, so I rushed back to get my stuff and secure my key to lock the car up again. The game ended, and the crowd cleared out, so Sam and I were able to get a nice table outside to watch the next game. We had some bar food and beer during the game, and after, headed to our hotel to check in.

Saturday night was probably our biggest "fight" if you can call it that. I was in bed and Sam had pulled the covers off and made a nest on the floor and when I woke up and asked him what he was doing, I thought he said he was going to sleep there and I got upset about him taking the sheets without asking and also not joining me in bed. But, we both talked it out without losing our heads. He had been having trouble sleeping, didn't think I needed the blanket because one of my legs was out of it, and thought he'd watch some videos on the floor so as not to bother me. I told him I'd rather have him in bed with me and that it wouldn't bother me or I'd watch with him. We worked it out and he cuddled me and made me feel better.

Sunday morning in Austin we went for a pretty lengthy walk down to a river area where there were bats. The rest of the day was spent doing things suggested by my lead, James. First, we went swimming in the very cold waters of Barton Springs Pool, and dinner at The Salt Lick BBQ. In between, we soaked up the sun on our balcony at the Driskill, which I was glad I booked because both of us enjoyed it at different times, and it gave us some space away from each other. I especially used it Monday morning while Sam was still asleep.

While waiting for seats at the BBQ place, Sam and I went through the majority of the 36 questions that are supposed to make you fall in love with a stranger. Our answers definitely showed some  differences in our focuses - I felt like I kept answering in relation to wanting to find love again and be with my one person, whereas his answers were more about his friendships and his independence. In hindsight, I think that's where my head was going because I was hoping to get some answers about him and I through this exercise and through the whole week together, and it didn't feel like I was getting that. To be fair, we skipped some which I could see how those would have an intoxicating love effect. We finished the questions Monday as we drove back, in addition to having other conversations.

It became apparent to me for the first time that he not only thinks Taylor Swift's Eras Tour is a wolrdwide sensation worth seeing for that reason alone, but that he admires Taylor Swift as something of a hero. We also chatted about my idea of having a retirement home on the beach in Panama City Beach or somewhere equally as affordable with a nice beach - he agreed that would be absolutely perfect to live on the beach like that. Costa Rica, Hawaii, Mexico were floated as other potential places. I asked about how to look up real estate in Sydney and he told me to use Domain.com. We talked about real estate values in Dallas vs Austin (and vs Sydney) and he was surprised that downtown Austin has already surpassed the value of downtown Dallas.

Our last few days together were less scheduled and more just playing house to an extent. We'd swim together, he'd go for his own independent walks, I'd listen to my audio book in the morning while he slept in. But for the most part, we were together and the time just flew. I loved watching him go sunbathe outside in his underwear, and wished he could be a permanent fixture for me to gaze upon. We were also a little productive, making edits to his resume, and he expressed interest in learning more about AI and helping me with my fabric business, so I showed him some stuff in those vains.

Physically, I was a bit needier, wanting more cuddles than what I was getting and making my desire known. His physical attention got a little too rough for me, he would squeeze me too hard and at one point he slapped a part of my side that was just too hard for me and I told him as much. He immediately apologized profusely and made me feel better.

He was very sweet on our last day together, and I felt like he had definitely heard me and was responding to what I wanted. It felt so good to be heard and seen and cared for in that way - I don't know if I've ever felt like that before with anyone. When it was time to leave for the airport, there was no fuss or sadness, really, it was like it was just the next thing on the itinerary. But it did hit me when I was hugging and kissing him goodbye. He reminded me that our UK trip wasn't too far out, and I tried to fake some courage by saying, "That's right, see you in Scotland in a few weeks!"

As I pulled away, checking my mirrors and windows in case he was waving furiously at me because he forgot something, his "song" came on - "Too Sweet" by Hozier, or "Whiskey Neat" as Sam called it. It was a song that drove him nuts and became an inside joke a little with us. I love our similar senses of humor and how we can make these little jokes so easily.

I reflected what it was that I was feeling, and what I concluded was this. Sam is in no rush to get our relationship to the next step, but he's also not going to "hit it and quit it." He's shown that he is in it for the long run and his reassurances put me at peace with that pace which is slower than my usual preference. That peace also allows me to focus on things other than pursuing love - like my writing, my futurism studies and projects, my fabric design, my finances, my health. I wished I had had that realization when answering the 36 questions because I think that is a more true picture of me; I had gotten hung up on the idea of us moving forward and hadn't allowed myself to be content with where we are. We're great, not rushing into anything but I can trust him and I feel good with him in my life. And that's why I like him so much - he magnifies who I want to be and calms my anxiety when I'm overwhelmed or stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment