Saturday, July 25, 2026

Niche Problems, Smart Solutions: AI for Health

Disclaimer: The content in this article reflects my personal experiences and is intended for informational and entertainment purposes only. I am not a medical professional. The AI tools discussed are used for general wellness, lifestyle optimization, and non-emergency comfort measures—not for diagnosing, treating, or preventing medical conditions. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for medical advice, diagnoses, or before making changes to your health regimen.



Fuck! Ow! Fuck! Fuck! Ow! Fucking ow! Fuck! 

There I was in the economy window seat on a short flight to Greenville, South Carolina for a week of work there, and I was in excruciating pain. 

I wasn't sick. It wasn't my ears. I was having a Charley horse for the record books. My hamstring was contracting, and with minimal space to stretch my leg out, I could not find a position to ease the pain. I tried pushing it into the small space below the seat in front of me. I tried pulling it back. Fuck! That was worse. I flexed my foot, I pointed my toes, no relief. I tried massage it with my hands. I wriggled in my seat in such discomfort I'm surprised I didn't jab the person next to me with my elbow. 

This went on for what felt like an hour, but was probably a total of 20 minutes, which is still quite a long time. It wasn't just one of my legs either. As soon as one stopped, the other started, and I'd go through the same fruitless efforts of trying to straighten, trying to pull it back, trying to stretch my foot out, trying to massage. 

It was my own doing, I realized. I had planned this flight as late in the day as I could while still getting in before a decent bedtime in order to allow as much time as I could for dance classes in the morning. The weekend had been full of social dances at night with a greater attendance than normal as out-of-towners traveled for the event, and hard-hitting dance classes during the day. 

That morning I had started off with a solo Charleston class which both challenged my muscle memory and blew my mind, as well as worked up a sweat. I had brought a change of shirt to prepare for the next class, which was a partner Charleston class, as a courtesy to my rotating partners. I had brought a full change of clothes to the airport, along with wipes and antiperspirant to freshen up after the classes. 

I had not stretched or put my feet up sufficiently. After a weekend of moving and straining my muscles, culminating in those Charleston classes which involve some of the most leg movements, I had boarded a plane and attempted to sit still while I rehydrated and ate protein-packed snacks. I had thought of everything, or so I thought. 

And then my glutes started cramping. Mother fucker! Ow! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Ow! 

AI to the Rescue

With nowhere really to go and not knowing what I would do even if I did get up, I grabbed my phone and opened it to my AI chatbot of choice - Gemini. I switched it into my ongoing conversation generically called, "Health" and explained the situation, asking it what I could do while sitting here on the plane. It commended my choice of snacks and gave me specific instructions for stretching and relieving the immediate pain. I then inquired what I should plan to eat and what I could do at the hotel.

This is one of a few ways I used AI chatbots for my health: for innocuous, non-emergency conditions like soreness. While general remedies for soreness can simply be googled, I prefer to use the chatbot because it (usually) remembers my likes, and more importantly, dislikes, of certain foods, and can tailor its recommendations based on my history of general ailments and my lifestyle. I am trying to incorporate occasional tea into my life, and so I've used Gemini to explore the various benefits of different tea varieties to figure out which ones I want to drink. I'll also sometimes take a snapshot of a menu at a restaurant when I'm traveling for work to get recommendations for the best options based on my health-related concerns at the time (e.g. muscle recovery versus watching inflammation). 



Fix Your Face

A similar example was when I was getting frustrated with dark circles and bags under my eyes. I snapped well-lit selfies with multiple views - smiling, not smiling, looking in different directions - and shared that with Gemini and consulted it for recommendations. It wasn't just sleep that was an issue, it was inflammation from sodium, according to the chatbot. We reviewed my general diet and it gave me low-sodium recommendations to reduce to inflammation, as well as methods to help drain the fluids over time. I also used it to investigate potential skincare creams I could use, given my skin sensitivity and desire to keep my routine very easy and minimal. 

Again, innocuous, non-emergency type things that googling would only give generic advice while AI can pull in context of the selfies and provide reassurance and helpful tips that also pass the human litmus test of being healthy recommendations. Once we had a solid plan in place, it suggested I check back in after a week with updated selfies, but since the chatbot doesn't have a reminder mechanism, I had to set a reminder in my to do app, Tick-Tick. When I uploaded new selfies, Gemini confirmed the great progress I already had started to notice, but it actually provided deeper insights and specifics that I hadn't really clocked. Now, I regularly check in with selfies and context of recent travel, dancing, hydration diligence, etc., and it continues to provide recommendations that seem to help. 

Not only have my selfies improved. I have made a habit of noting my blood pressure readings whenever I visit various doctor's offices for regular appointments, and I've tracked a dramatic decrease in my readings into much healthier ranges. Whenever I get a new reading, I share this with Gemini and it puts into context for me the success based on what it knows I've been doing to improve my healthy lifestyle. This data-driven result, combined with contextual feedback from AI, creates a tangible intrinsic reward that builds momentum and motivation in my busy life.

The Urge to Find a Solution

A couple years ago, a weird phenomenon started happening. I don't drink alcohol every day or anywhere close to that, but occasionally I enjoy tasting local craft beer from wherever I happened to have traveled, or having a glass of wine or a cocktail with friends. 

Within seconds, and I mean truly, seconds - no more than half a minute - of the alcohol of choice hitting my lips, I'd have a sudden, intense urge to urinate. It was so strong it would be a little painful, and it seemed to come out of nowhere. This wasn't a breaking-the-seal feeling resulting from having many drinks without going to the bathroom. This was an immediate, inexplicable feeling like I was about to pee my pants if I didn't get to a toilet now. 

The first several times it happened to me, I'd bolt for the bathroom, only to find no relief. Nothing would come up, and the urge persisted. If you've ever had a UTI, it was a lot like this. I'd go to the bathroom two or three times in ten minutes without producing anything, feeling no relief from the urge to pee whatsoever. 

It was awful. But I found, after ten or fifteen minutes, the urge would pass. After learning this, the next few times it happened, I'd try to just sit still and wait it out. It was awful, but it would pass. 

While I don't live a perfectly healthy lifestyle by any means, and I have a lot of diagnosed conditions that make life a little harder in their own ways, I generally consider myself at least a bit health conscious. I try to drink water a lot, I don't drink a lot of soda or alcohol, and I dance and do other forms of physical activity pretty regularly. 

It didn't happen all the time, either. It seemed random, but happened with enough frequency that it started to weigh heavily on my mind. This 10 or 15 minute discomfort that was clearly tied to all forms of alcohol, at least as far as I could tell, created a pretty massive disinterest in drinking. Not the end of the world, to be fair. But it was frustrating because I did want to drink socially with friends and colleagues every so often. So I would have to weigh my willingness to risk putting myself through it or not. 

I googled it many times, and all I could find were results about alcohol being a diuretic and causing this after many drinks. None of the results mentioned anything related to the immediacy of the feeling for me. When I tried changing up my google search, it led to UTIs and other conditions that were more persistent, but I knew this was a very short-term symptom that passed much faster than UTIs from my (thankfully) limited experience. None of the results made sense or seemed to even get close to what I was experiencing. 

I thought about talking to my doctor the next time I went in. But it wasn't an emergency, and the obvious solution was just to not drink, so it didn't seem like an issue I needed to rush into the doctor to manage. I didn't drink for a long time, and people gave me looks but thankfully none of my social groups would apply pressure or judgment in that regard. So it wasn't a big deal, except to me. The times I wanted to drink but didn't want to deal with the consequences were irritating and puzzling. 

I shifted my google searching to talking about it with my chatbot. I explained the circumstances and the weirdness, and confirmed it wasn’t the obvious suspects - a ton of consumption or a UTI. I emphasized the immediacy of it, the fact that nothing happened if I went to the bathroom, and how it would pass and not reoccur again until literally days or weeks later when I drank again. It suggested it was a sort of bladder irritation that would occur when I was dehydrated. That explained why it didn't always happen - if I had properly hydrated during the day before drinking, it wouldn't hit the same way. 

Since ensuring proper hydration is never a bad recommendation for a reasonably healthy, able-bodied person, it was definitely worth testing the theory. So on days when I felt confident I had drunk enough water and then wanted to drink alcohol, I would allow myself to do. And if I didn't think I'd had enough water that day, I'd pass on the alcohol usually, although from time to time I went for the drink anyways. 

The results were crystal clear. When I felt properly hydrated and had alcohol, no issue at all, ever. When I risked the alcoholic drink despite knowing I probably hadn't had enough water that day, I felt the urge, and it would pass after 10 minutes. So I still opted out of alcohol pretty regularly when I traveled, with the knowledge that my poor hydration that day would likely lead to the annoying discomfort. I literally haven't had this issue that couldn't be explained by obvious lack of hydration discipline since then. 

This example, while a little embarrassing, is the perfect example for what AI is capable of. Instead of doing a keyword search, like google, the chatbots can apply context and perform deeper critical "thinking." And honestly, I am not sure if a doctor would have been able to help here. Since this is a passing feeling, not a disease, and it's not an emergency situation, doctors may have zero exposure and experience with treating this concern. It's such a niche issue, and probably doesn't have a test that could be run. Sure, we could rule out things like UTIs and maybe other diseases like liver disease or whatever, but could the doctor actually tell me the solution? Would they have prescribed something for incontinence or medication that provides a numbing quality to mute the feeling? If you know or have heard of anything like this, please put in the comments - I'm genuinely curious. 



Custom Workout Plans and Realistic Expectations

Since I have a varied personal schedule and hate routines, efforts towards losing weight and focusing on my health have to integrate easily into my life or they won't work. While I won't pretend I have it all figured out, I do regularly use my chatbot to give me short-term routines and suggestions that are palatable to me. I also lay out longer-term expectations using my real history data which can be uploaded to the chatbot. When evaluating a new product, I can throw screenshots in of the product claims and have it assess the validity of it, narrowing down my search to features and results that are most important to me. With the ongoing dialog being stored in its memory, it easily pulls in contextual information and proactively provides insights that are helpful and I might not have thought of. 

When I was working on my inflammation, I decided to spend an evening at World Springs, and was able to ask Gemini for a custom plan for which baths to soak in. It even encouraged me to try the cold plunge, despite my protests. I had heard about the benefits of cold plunging before and had made the excuse that it wasn't "for me." But after investigating the specific benefits it could potentially bring to me with Gemini, I relented. I initially went into a very painful shock state, but a random stranger coached me to keep breathing and to get all the way in the water, and tracked my time for me while I mentally could not function. Rushing to the hot tub afterward, I felt the reassuring pinpricks of sensation returning to my body. After about 15 minutes, I felt so rejuvenated—and I'm not sure how else to describe it—just so wholesomely healthier and more alive, I actually wanted to do it again. I couldn't have been more surprised by the results, and it finally made sense why people promote it. And I wouldn't have discovered it without the clear, personalized recommendations from Gemini urging me to consider it despite my heavy resistance. 

What Are We Losing

I want to talk a little bit about a few concerns, real and unwarranted, here. I believe it is always healthy to evaluate what it is we're losing that goes hand-in-hand with what we're gaining with new technologies. When cell phones first came out, we were worried about radio waves frying our brains with the close proximity to our heads. Now, despite many studies that suggest having a phone in close proximity to our beds disturbs our sleep, I'm willing to bet most of you still sleep with the phone next to your bed. I do too, so no judgement. I've considered trying a different alarm method so I can leave my phone in another room, but I haven't done it yet. It's a choice that we should actively test and be open to new data in either direction. 

Personal Data Security

First, you might be reading this and noting the things I've shared with my AI chatbot - my health history and statistics, real-time selfies, travel plans, my diet choices, and niche concerns - and thinking that this is a threat to the security of my personal data. What I'll say to this is, yeah, but "they" already have that. I'm giving my chatbot the data from my FitBit, which recently was acquired by Google anyways. I'm uploading selfies that are maybe more detailed, but not too different than pictures I post on facebook, or people post of me. My travel plans already exist in TripIt because that's my favorite app of choice for building my itineraries. Amazon knows what food I order. These may be somewhat disconnected data streams, but the data is out there. To me, the idea of protecting your personal data while engaging with these products and technologies is an illusion. The only way to truly protect your personal data is to disconnect from all devices and from the world. That is an option, and I won't shame that as a personal choice for people. But I would acknowledge that those people are missing out on the benefits of these technologies, and that's the tradeoff they pay for feeling secure. No judgment. For me, the "price" of readily sharing my data that already exists, to get the benefits of these custom recommendations easily, tips that actually help improve my life, is worth it. That's my choice. But pretending that you can live and operate in this world and reap all the benefits of these technologies without exposing your personal data to the companies and systems that could find it anyways is just kidding yourself. So while I won't judge anyone on their decision to share the information or not, I do assert that it is a conscious choice one way or the other. 

Critical Thinking Ability

Another example from the early cell phone days is that we all realized we no longer could remember the phone numbers of the people we called the most. While most of us remember our own phone number still, I literally couldn't recite more than the area code for a single person I contact regularly. Part of this might be that we now have to use 10 digits (in the US), whereas before cell phones, we primarily made local calls with 7 digits (in the US). I've had the same personal phone number since I went to college in Arizona, so naturally, my area code is one of Arizona, despite the fact that I haven't lived in Arizona since 2017. 

So what are we losing with AI chatbots in terms of our brain power? I'm sure time will tell and there will be many studies done, but even without data, I can definitely feel my willingness to create things manually waning. Looking up individual things through google search and go to the source website for a specific topic already feels too tedious and taxing when I have a quick solution. There is a newly created conflict I now have to weigh in my head, between the risk of AI hallucination and the benefits of validated, contextual insights. 

How do we combat this? I think it starts with acknowledging the real trade-off, and making choices. If I just want to explore ideas and am open to novel suggestions, like when I'm planning a personal vacation, I love treating AI as a partner in mapping out itineraries. To validate claims of products, I definitely like querying AI and sharing my specific concerns. But when tempted to create, I think we need to make choices about whether its important we create it ourselves, or if the end product is not significant enough to require the human touch. For example, I use AI to generate a lot of graphics to accommodate my blog posts. Since the writing is usually the important element, I'm okay with graphics that are imperfect - in fact, I really enjoy the imperfections to demonstrate the quirkiness of AI, and I will often use graphics unedited. Sometimes I use them to give me a framework of the graphic, and I edit them with my amateurish skills. 

But the blog is the important element, and I write those. Sometimes, when I'm having a hard time structing my thoughts, I'll use AI to generate an outline. I'll also use AI to check my work for clarity, to workshop specific sentences that could be phrased better, or to ensure I haven't left anything out when I have a lot of topics I want to make sure I cover. I'll use AI to generate professional disclaimers (like the one at the top of this post), and to ideate snazzy or punny headlines, although I often end up using a combination of its suggestions because AI struggles with human comedy still. Nevertheless, the work is mine. It's more than human-in-the-loop, it's further on the spectrum towards using AI as a collaborator, amending my human abilities rather than replacing them. 

So we need to be conscious of the choices of when to use AI and when to use our brains, to keep ourselves sharp. And ultimately, we need to use AI for what AI is good at - deep, contextual, niche searches and personalized recommendations, rather than trying to replace our humanity. And in terms of health, we aren't in a world (yet?) in which AI chatbots can diagnose real medical conditions. While they could provide a notional assessment of symptoms and things to talk to your doctor about, the risk of hallucination for something more medically serious is too great to not consult a doctor. 


And on that note, I need to get more water and stretch my still-tight muscles, because of course I went dancing again the last two nights. Cheers! 



No comments:

Post a Comment